Oyster mushrooms have become quite popular, they have a taste and texture reminiscent of Oysters, hence their name.
Oyster mushrooms thrive in high humidity and need to be misted several times daily for optimal results. They are best grown indoors, and can be grown year round. Other than minimal maintenance and misting they are probably the easiest mushrooms to propagate.
They grow naturally in wood, but you also can raise oyster mushrooms successfully in other growing media, such as sawdust, wood chips or straw. Most grow under a temperature range of 55 to 65 degrees F.
Oyster mushrooms are great for someone who has never grown mushrooms before, your chances of success and waiting time from planting to harvest is much better than than with most other mushrooms.
Some varieties are mere specks, and some are as big as your head. A kit is the best starting point. Check with your supplier to determine what varieties are best for your particular needs. Most kits contain a small inoculated log or a plastic bag with a lot of holes, containing sterilized, inoculated growth media such as sawdust.
Should you obtain spores [spawn] not from a kit , than any grow media you decide to use needs to be sterilized. This is done by microwaving , boiling or steaming . Don't do this if you purchased a kit as the sterilizing process will kill the spawn.
To sterilize using a microwave , fill a microwave-safe container with the media and some flour, wet the mass down with un-chlorinated water so that it is damp to the consistency of cookie dough - not soup, and then zap it till the water boils - allow to cool to room temperature before adding any spawn.
Tightly pack this damp growing medium into your pots or containers and leave them in a dark location. Keep the mix moist, with non-chlorinated water, and within 2 - 3 months your mushrooms should begin fruiting.
Avoid Toxic Mushrooms
Make certain that you pick the right mushrooms. Many mushrooms are poisonous, even deadly . If you are growing these Mushrooms outdoors - it is even more important as contamination from indigenous species is not unheard of. See - How do I tell if a Mushroom is safe to eat?