There are over 7.4 million pools and five million hot tubs in the United States. Above ground pools allow you to enjoy swimming without the additional costs of digging and maintaining inground pools.
However, you might feel like your pool is a bit too exposed without some additional screen.
Pool owners of any kind should consider pool privacy screens. According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, fences and other barriers can save lives, as toddlers from your own or neighboring houses can wander into your pool and drown.
Pool privacy protocols are long term investments for the comfort and safety of those around you. Here are some above ground pool privacy ideas you can implement.
Why Do You Need Privacy for Above Ground Pools?
Safety is important, but it is not the only reason to consider privacy for your above ground pool.
When done right, pool fences look aesthetically pleasing. They add a refined air to your property, elevating its beauty beyond the standard above ground pool.
Pool privacy screens or fences obstruct another person’s view of your pool. This could make shy swimmers or those who prefer seclusion when swimming more comfortable.
If you live in a neighborhood with many houses, you can’t physically seclude yourself from other homes. Pool fences allow you to feel like you’re away from other people’s gazes and let you swim in peace.
Some cities require residents to place fences around their pools — both above ground and below.
This is because pools are considered an “attractive nuisance,” according to the South Carolina Department of Insurance. Pools are fun and increase your property value, but they also raise the risk of injury or death on your property.
The World Health Organization states that children who have access to open water are most at risk for drowning. Drowning is the second leading cause of death among 1-14-year-olds in the United States, they say, so putting up barriers to your pools is one way to protect children from drowning in your pool.
Now that we’ve discussed some of the reasons you should put up pool privacy measures, here are some of the best ways to do it.
Related: Colorado Privacy Plants
Privacy Ideas for Above Ground Pools
Lattice Fence Around Above Ground Pool
Lattice fences are usually made of wood. You can buy panels of lattice fences and easily install them around your pool.
Certain lattice fences can wrap snugly around your above ground pool to save space. The wrap-around method prevents people from climbing over the pool’s side, forcing them to use a gate (which can be locked) instead.
Lattice fences also provide an upscale aesthetic around your above ground pool. They have a vintage look to them, and they can quickly be painted white, beige, or some other color to match your house.
This sort of fence also allows you to see into the pool quickly. You can identify if someone is swimming by looking through the gaps in the lattice fence. If someone is swimming in your pool when they shouldn’t be, you can know without getting too close to your pool.
Using a lattice fence around your above ground pool allows you to quickly get some privacy and comply with local pool safety ordinances.
- Aesthetically pleasing pool privacy idea
- Relatively affordable since it’s made from wood
- Can be customized to match your house
- Lets you see into your pool
- A wood fence can rot if consistently wet
- Can let nosy neighbors see into your pool
- ✔ HIGH QUALITY, LONG LASTING - We use only first-class materials to manufacture our signs. Made from 100% rust free strong aluminum, and will stay good as new even after many years of indoor or outdoor use. Plus, our signs are made in the USA!
- ✔ NO FADING - The graphics and wordings will withstand the elements and will not fade, no matter the sun, rain, or other extreme weather.
- ✔ PRE-DRILLED HOLES FOR EASY MOUNTING - All of our premium signs have 4 pre-drilled holes and can be easily mounted on every surface. No need for adhesive or special equipment!
Pool Deck Privacy Wall
Many above ground pools are in the openness of your backyard. Other homeowners elect to build a deck around their above ground pool to give the illusion of a below ground pool. When you build a deck around your pool, you’ll typically need guardrails to prevent people from falling off if they get too close to the sides.
Pool deck privacy walls attach to your pre-existing pool deck. They’re not difficult to attach if you have the proper tools. You can use wood panels to block off the view completely. You could also use diagonal pieces of wood to create small windows in the walls, allowing you to look out but not for others to look into your pool.
Pool deck privacy walls add ample privacy to your backyard, as it’s unlikely that people can see through your pool — unless there are gaps in your deck’s guard rail. Then it would make sense to match the privacy wall’s design to the guard rail’s build.
Adding walls to your pool deck lets you create a permanent privacy solution to your above ground pool. You can keep out wandering children or the curious eyes of onlookers, allowing you to swim in content.
- Ultimate privacy for around your pool
- Completely blocks off the view to your pool
- Keeps people from climbing over and into your pool
- Can look uneven if the wall mismatches the deck’s guard rail
- A bit more expensive than lattice fences
Removable Above Ground Pool Fence
- POOL SAFETY FENCE – Using a WaterWarden Pool Fence is a great way to protect against unauthorized access to your pool area, keeping your loved ones safe from accidents. While sturdy and extremely safe while in use, it’s easy to remove for any occasion.
- STRONG & DURABLE – WaterWarden Inground Pool Safety Fences are UL-Certified and made of super-strong, UV protected Meshylene fabric with reinforced edging to prevent fraying. The maximum UV inhibitors make it suitable for all climates.
- DIMENSIONS – Each section of fence measures 4’ high and 12’ long. The spring-loaded safety latch system quickly and easily joins fence sections together, and you can buy as many sections as you need to safely surround your pool.
Removable above ground pool fences often look like tennis nets that you wrap around your pool. The gaps in the mesh can be large, allowing people to look into your pool. The gaps can also be small to obstruct the view into your pool completely.
Removable above ground pool fences are easy to install. They come with stakes underneath the fence. Wrap the stakes around the pool into the ground and, boom, you’ve installed an above ground pool privacy fence.
These sorts of fences are also cheap, as they’re made from plastic and metal materials. You can also install a removable fence in a day.
If you need a last-minute pool fence idea, a removable fence is the way to go.
Removable pool fences, as stated in their name, remove from the ground easily. If you want to get rid of the fence and start a new one, you can remove the fence within a few minutes. They’re the affordable option for those who need an above ground pool fence but don’t have the time or money to put into a fancier one.
A downside to a removable above ground pool fence is that they’re not very sturdy. They’re made from plastic and metal, so they break easily. If a severe storm comes into your neighborhood, it’s likely to destroy your removable fence, forcing you to buy a new one.
Clever trespassers could also easily climb over one of these fences. They’ll probably keep out a young child who could otherwise wander into your pool, but teenagers and adults can cut through the fence siding or hop over the fence (depending on how tall it is). It’s not an effective solution to keep all trespassers out of your pool.
In short, removable above ground pool fences save you time and money when installing a pool fence. They’re not the most sturdy fence, though, and they won’t obstruct clever trespassers.
- Easy to install
- Quick to remove
- Easily destroyed
- Won’t thwart teenaged or adult trespassers
Above Ground Pool Privacy Panels
- Wood Privacy Screen helps you hide unsightly yard items, create a private area or separate your yard from other's.
- Your garbage cans, recyclables, bikes, lawn mowers and A/C condenser units will be out of sight, it's not only make your yard look neater, but require no maintenance and resistant from mold, mildew, fungi, termites, rot and decay.
- Dimension: 94 inches L x 1 inch W x 46 inches H, Weight: 58 lbs; Carton dimension: 49"l x 26"w x 5"H; 4 panels are included in the box
Panels are a great way to add privacy around your above ground pool quickly. They can be freestanding or one continuous unit that wraps around your pool.
Privacy panels are tall and opaque, obstructing the view of anyone peering into your pool. They can also deter trespassers and any other being who would want to enter your pool.
These privacy panels are typically made from wood, so they’re affordable. You can paint wood privacy panels to match your home or find mesh metal ones to provide a different aesthetic.
Stores have all sorts of privacy panels available at hardware stores. There is bound to be one that suits your tastes.
Privacy panels require a little bit of work to install, but they’re one of the best ways to find privacy in your above ground pool.
More Pool Privacy Fence Ideas
Protecting your privacy is important when you are using your pool. These additional privacy ideas will help keep your family and your property safe during the summer.
Chain Link Fence with Privacy Weave
- Our fence is an artificial ivy leaf screen with realistic looking ivy leaves that help to provide that extra privacy.
- The added mesh backing Easily beautify landscaping with our Artificial Ivy Leaf Privacy Decor Panels. The added mesh backing separates our product from other comparable products, providing more privacy windscreen protection to its users.
- These panels are easily mounted to any fence with pre-fabricated ring holes, and the mini-panels come equipped with Snap-On panels
You might not consider a chain link fence in above ground pool privacy ideas, but they’re an excellent way to get quick privacy.
A chain link fence is a cheap and durable way to add a privacy fence around your above ground pool. They’re usually made from steel wire to withstand storms or unruly children crashing into them.
Chain link fences provide protection but not privacy. You will need a privacy weave attachment for your fence. Such weaves are made from plastic, vinyl, or other synthetic material to attach to your fence like what you often see around construction areas.
Chain link fences with a privacy weave provide a more durable fence than a removable above ground pool fence, but they’re still affordable. They’re also quite easily installed and maintained since they’re made from wood.
The only downside is that the privacy weave will need a few cuts in them if you live in a windy area. This is to prevent the wind from essentially creating a sail from the weave, damaging the fence. Cutting the weave allows air to pass through without bulging the wave, but it can allow people to people through the slit.
Chain link fences can also get hot on a summer day. The sun can heat the metal and burn a child who accidentally touches it. It’s a small consideration if you have children who like to climb up fences.
In all, chain link fences with a privacy weave provide a quick and durable above ground pool privacy solution. They’re bare-bones and accessible, but some homeowners might not like the aesthetic they provide.
- Fenpro Desert Tan (1) 250-ft. Roll and (125) Brass Fasteners
- Each box covers approximately 40 square feet
- Approximately 90% Privacy/Blockage
- Provide ample privacy with the weave
- Don’t need to be maintained much
- Get hot to the touch in the summer
- Privacy weave needs a cut in it to avoid damaging the fence
- Tree cuttings will be 9" long & minimum 1/4" thick.
Shrubs are a natural above ground pool privacy idea. Being near nature is calming and relaxing, according to Harvard Health. Surrounding your outdoor pool with shrubs allows you to reap all the benefits from nature — zen, peace, and privacy.
Tall shrubs can also provide shade from the unforgiving sun. Privacy shrubs that can be used around an above ground pool are an ecological way to protect your skin from the sun’s rays while shielding your pool from onlookers or trespassers.
However, you have to ensure that your shrubs are tall and thick. Otherwise, trespassers can waltz between the short trunks or hop right over.
You must also maintain your shrubs frequently; otherwise, they’ll look overgrown and too wild.
Pool owners also have to protect their shrubs from pests and ensure they’re amply being watered and fertilized. And you must ensure this runoff doesn’t enter your pool.
Privacy shrubs may be a natural way to protect your pool, but they require some work. Certain pool owners might find this upkeep worth the aesthetic, others might not.
- Tall shrubs provide shade in addition to privacy
- Aesthetically pleasing
- Can only be grown in temperate environments (no place too hot or cold)
- Must be maintained through watering and landscaping
Are you looking for above ground pool privacy ideas? The solutions in this article are some of the best ways to find peace of mind while swimming.
The lattice fence is perhaps the most common option, providing a mix of aesthetics and functionality. The removable above ground pool fence offers a quick solution for those who don’t want to spend much time or money installing a pool fence.
Chain link fences with a privacy weave give users a more durable fence while providing ample privacy. There are other options for those who want a mix of use and beauty, such as privacy panels and privacy walls for your above ground pool.
There are lots of above ground pool privacy ideas, so there’s bound to be one that suits your tastes, budget, and labor preferences.
Don’t go another day of feeling uncomfortable swimming in your above ground pool. Implementing one of these privacy ideas allows you to have peace of mind while swimming and protect the people around you. We hope this article helped you find an above ground pool privacy idea that suits your needs.