This recipe does not work well with common “ornamental” crab apple varieties.
- 8 lbs. crab apples
- 6 cups vinegar
- 8 cups brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon cloves
- 1 stick of cinnamon.
- Combine brown sugar clove and cinnamon in a non-reactive saucepan. See: Reactive vs. non-reactive Cookware
- Heat on medium for 10-15 minutes OR until the mixture has a Syrup texture. similar to pancake syrup but slightly lumpy
- Leave the stems on crab apples.
- Add to syrup and boil until fruit is tender.
- Remove the fruit and pack it into jars.
- Pour in the syrup.
You may enjoy this pickled crab apple recipe:
We hope you have enjoyed this recipe for pickled crab apples. With a few ingredients and a little bit of time, you’ll have some delicious canned crab apples.
Related: Growing Prairie Crab Apples